Purchasing And Passing Firearms To Heirs

At its core, every estate planning tool is designed to protect one's legacy in the manner one desires. A gun trust is no exception. Many Michigan gun enthusiasts have discovered that an NFA firearms trust is an efficient way to own regulated firearms, under the National Firearms Act (NFA). These include automatic firearms, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, suppressors and "destructive" devices.

Federal and state laws regulate the possession and transfer of ownership of NFA firearms. Any transfer of ownership of a registered NFA firearm must be done through the federal NFA registry. Individuals who are forbidden from possessing or owning NFA firearms include convicted felons, anyone with a history of mental illness, anyone who has been convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, dishonorably discharged veterans and any individual who uses illegal drugs. An executor of an estate, that includes guns, must be aware of these laws and work with an attorney who is experienced with firearms and the laws that regulate them.

Your Trust Becomes The Owner Of Your Guns

At McCleary & Associates, P.C., in Grand Blanc, I work with firearms enthusiasts who wish to transfer ownership of their NFA firearms to a gun trust. I understand NFA laws and state laws and will ensure your firearms are owned lawfully and are able to pass to heirs without complications. You can complete the NFA firearms questionnaire on this website before you schedule a consultation.

Your gun trust can name multiple trustees, each of whom may lawfully possess the firearm without requiring additional documentation. (Any individual who is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm in the trust cannot be named a trustee or beneficiary.)

A firearms trust provides flexibility, increased reliability regarding passing firearms to family, and confidentiality regarding the firearms owned by the trust. It is important to work with an estate planning lawyer who is experienced in creating NFA gun trusts.

Take Action Today

Call 810-652-5115 or use my online contact form to schedule a consultation. I will review your situation and recommend an effective solution that is tailored to your needs.